Becoming a freelance web developer is by far one of the hardest yet rewarding freelance ventures one can ever undertake it. For one, it is a job that can be done anywhere in the world and it can also be done from the comfort of your own home. Most importantly, it continues to be one of the most in demand freelance businesses across the world. As the demand increases, the potential of finding clients continues to grow.
The question that many people now have is: How do I become a freelance web developer?
In this post, I will break down how to kick off your freelance web development business:
Step 1: Learn as Many Technologies/Languages as You Can
Web development is not a skill that you can just wake up and acquire. It requires knowledge of multiple programing languages. In short, it means the more technologies and languages you know, the more opportunity for you. In order to begin it is suggested that you begin with languages that are in demand such as Python and build over time.
Step 2: Setting Up Your Business Logistics
There are several steps involved in establishing any new freelancing business:
- Meet with a Certified Public Accountant to determine the best structure for your business; you’ll need this information for the next steps.
- Register your business name in the state you live or work in.
- Apply for a Federal EIN, if applicable, and find out when and how often you will be required to pay taxes.
- Secure liability insurance, if necessary.
- Purchase the software and equipment you need to set up your home office.
- Write a business plan. This document is vital in providing vision and direction for your business, establishing goals, and measuring achievements, and is often required in order to secure any business financing you may need.
The US Small Business Administration also gives step-by-step guidance on how to start a business.
Step 3: Build Your Freelancing Website
One of the most challenging aspects of getting into freelance work is having a portfolio showing completed client projects. Once you get your client’s approval create a website that allows you to showcase your work.
Step 4: Market Your Services
In order to gain new clients you need to determine who your target market or who your niche audience is. Once you have determined that begin marketing yourself on popular sites such as Linkedin, Twitter or Facebook.
Step 5: Keep Learning
Ongoing education in web development is super important to make sure you are continuing to learn new languages and technologies as they emerge.