A new Nielsen study has confirmed what we have always known, African Americans have power both online and offline and consumers. Below we have highlighted some of the most powerful African American marketing trends:
- Many, if not most, young African-Americans are early adopters and influencers of pop culture, so you will want to promote new technology and lifestyle products to this consumer demographic.
- Black Americans are heavy users of social media and huge consumers of video content.
- Black digital consumers are very receptive to advertising on mobile devices.
- The Black consumer ownership rate for smartphones grew from 33% to more than 54% and continues to grow.
- African-Americans use their phones for texting, Internet access, receiving and sending email, downloading picture, downloading music and mobile video, accessing Twitter and Facebook more than other demographics.
- Black women are huge users of e-commerce involving purchases of beauty products, clothes, healthcare products and groceries.
- Black men and women are very socially connected to others. 72% of Black adults online have more than one social networking profile.
- Black women between the ages18 and 35 are 72% more likely to highlight products and web content preferences by “liking,” “following” or linking to an article, brand or website.
- Black Americans trust Black media more than mainstream sources for information. Ads that reflect benefits of products or services and convey a positive message to the African-American community are well-received.
- African-American women between the ages of 18 and 35 are 72% more likely to publish a blog.
Special thanks to our freelancer Leah who helped us track down who’s responsible for this original research that can be found here.
What are your thoughts on black marketing trends? Leave your comments below and make sure you sign up today!